Monday, February 16, 2009

Sister Gillespie

Dear Sister Bragg,

My name is Lauren Gillespie and I am in the Daniel's Park Ward here in Highlands Ranch, CO. My husband, Jeremy, is the Ward Mission Leader in the ward and through his calling we have had the privilege to spend quite a bit of time with your son.

This morning for Valentines Day we had Elder Bragg and Elder McMurray over for breakfast and we made scones. Elder Bragg was so excited about the scones and told us all about the scones that you make for your family. When I told him that I would like to email you today he asked me to tell you that he loves his Valentines tie (he was wearing it proudly) and he would like it if you would please add my maple frosting to your scone repetoire. In our family we combine butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, milk and maple flavoring to make a "frosting" that we smear on the scones. Apparently it was a hit with Elder Bragg and he wanted me to pass the recipe on to you. There aren't exact measurements, just a little of each ingredient until it tastes good! I hope your family enjoys it.

I am mother to three girls and although they are all under the age of five, I can appreciate what a sacrifice it is for you to give your child up for two years and send him to do the Lord's work. If I were in your position I would wonder what my child was like as a missionary, and how he spoke of his family back home. This thought is what prompted me to email you today.

I think you should know that Elder Bragg is ALWAYS cheerful. Yesterday afternoon he and his companion were tracting in my neighborhood and showed up on my doorstep to use the bathroom. The temperature had dropped and it was freezing cold outside and their lips were looking pretty blue. So while they used the restroom I made them a cup of cocoa and chatted with them for a few minutes and sure enough, there were no complaints about their hard lot, they were both just as postive and cheerful as any other day!

Your son's other distinguishing characteristic is that he talks about his family all the time. He adores you guys. I have never, ever heard him make one negative comment or insinuation about his childhood or homelife, in fact to talk to him you'd think that he absolutely had the best childhood and the best life ever. I've heard detailed descriptions about your family traditions, holiday memories, things Elder Bragg likes to do with his dad...I was particularly impressed that you play football in the TurkeyBowl and managed to break an Elder Coffman's ribs:). He just loves you so much. As a mother I'm constantly touched by his devotion and felt like you should hear from a third party what a terrific job you have done in raising such a happy, righteous son of God.

Elder Bragg is a hard worker and he is just so happy and sincere all the time. It has been our pleasure to know him and have him in our home and we hope that your family is blessed in his absence until he is safely returned to you.

Yours Sincerely,
Lauren Gillespie

3 comments:

Holly said...

Okay I may be a little more emotional than normal today, but as I read this Sister's take on Colt...I started to cry. I can only hope my boys get the same glowing report when they leave on a mission. How sweet! I am so happy that Colt is thriving and enjoying doing the Lord's work! :)

The Dunn's said...

Ahhh...how sweet is that! What an Elder! Way to go Mom and Dad!
-Jeff

Linda said...

WOW What a terrific Parental Payday. They don't come around all that often but when they do they are sweet indeed. Keep up the good work Elder Bragg.